E-learning programs and online courses target students of all kinds and at all levels. Have you ever thought of why students may choose an online course rather than a classroom based course?
In my opinion common reasons why students may opt to take one or more online learning courses are:
– Schedule conflicts – The time the course is offered or location it is being delivered may present conflicts with other important activities the person is following.
– Availability – Course not offered at a physical educational institution locally. Course may also be full with no places left.
– Homebound – Student may be homebound due to illness, problems with mobility, specific disabilities etc.
– Cost – Online courses tend to be cheaper than the “normal” physically delivered courses since the provider can cut of various costs such as those related to use of premises.
– Speed of delivery – Online courses often allow the student to choose the speed of learning, that is, the student has a say in deciding how long to go through the course and when to finish.
– Customisation – The student can choose what to learn, in that he/she may skip parts already familiar and use the time to research on areas found to be more challenging in the course.
Can you think of anything else?